Caramel apples are one of Fall's greatest pleasures. Super easy to make and decorate. Simple instructions to follow for a family fun treat.
1. Unwrap caramel candies, one bag for four apples. Place candies in a small sauce pan. Assemble your other ingredients. Wash and dry your apples, stick 'em with popsicle sticks, and place your toppings on a shallow plate.
2. Place your candy-filled pan over medium-low heat. Grab a wooden spoon or plastic spatula and stir frequently until candy is completely melted. (That means NO lumps.) Don't take your eyes off the pan for too long! If the caramel burns, it'll get bitter.
3. Remove your pan from heat and work quickly to coat your apples in caramel. Hold the handle of the pot and tilt it towards us so the caramel pools on one side. When you get down to the very bottom of the pot, use a spoon to coat your apple.
4. As soon as you finish coating each apple with caramel, dip them directly in your toppings. Toasted chopped peanuts are amazing, but you could dip your apples in pretty much anything. Think: crushed cinnamon cereal, chopped Reese's Pieces, multicolored sprinkles, chopped Oreos...and so on.
5. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate. Let caramel set, then serve.